Re: [nsp] Cisco DS3 Questions..

From: Steven W. Raymond (steven_raymond@eli.net)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 17:55:54 EST

Philip Smith wrote:
> Really? It takes about 10 seconds to change encapsulation. In all my years
> running a major ISP network, it has never been a problem for me, or anyone
> else I've worked with or for.

> don't have the numbers any more, unfortunately. We stuck with HDLC unless
> there was a need to use PPP - it kept life simple...
>
> philip

I have to cast a vote towards HDLC as well. One thing that I haven't
seen mentioned here yet is that when there is a circuit loop facing an
HDLC-encapsulated interface, it'll come "up/up looped", which is useful
for testing purposes. Can then ext ping the interface address with
18024 byte packets and see if the circuit runs clean.
PPP won't come up/up to a loop, and nor will frame relay in my
experience. Juniper's implementation of this is a little different, and
won't automatically forward traffic out the wire to be bounced back at
the loop without more fiddling.