Re: [nsp] Extreme and Cisco 802.1q trunk

From: Mikael Abrahamsson (swmike@swm.pp.se)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 02:45:39 EST

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Devon True wrote:

> All:
>
> I am trying to create a 802.1q trunk between a Cisco 2924 and an Extreme
> Summit 48i. I set the STP priority on the Summit to '100' so that it would
> be the root bridge. On the Cisco, it sees the Summit as the root bridge for
> vlan 1, but for vlans 2 and 3, it considers itself the root. Vlans 2 and 3
> are in the same STPD domain on the Summit where I set the priority to 100.
> (i.e. on the Summit, STPD s0 contains all three vlans with a priority of
> 100).
>
> I have tested Extreme-to-Extreme and Cisco-to-Cisco 802.1q trunking -- All
> worked fine. It is just getting them to work together that is giving me a
> headache. :)
>
> Any help is appreciated!

What version of extremeware are you running? Extreme doesn't support per
vlan stp until 6.2.x which is not generally available yet. I do not know
how to turn that off on cisco, but that might do the trick.

In 6.1.x and earlier as far as I know, extreme runs stp as untagged
packets and only supports stp on per physical link basis, which would
explain the behaviour you see.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se