Re: [nsp] VLAN 1 support of DHCP

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 11:43:03 EST

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:46:39AM -0500, Tom Scott wrote:
[..]
> inspection of the config files on the switch and the DHCP srvr reveals
> no obvious errors, causing us to wonder if the switch OS, by design,
> does not support DHCP on VLAN 1.

Not to my knowledge (and it wouldn't make sense anyway).

You have to watch out for a few pitfalls:

 - spanning tree: if a machine goes "online", it will take the switch
   up to 60 seconds before spanning tree starts forwarding packets. If
   DHCP has already timed out then, no go (enable "portfast" on all
   ports that are guaranteed to not be connected to other switches).

 - which VLAN is the DHCP server located in? If it isn't in VLAN 1,
   the router connecting the different VLANs has to forward bootp's
   ("ip helper-address <dhcp-server-ip>").

 - The DHCP server has to have a range assigned for that VLAN, of course.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de