[nsp] adding a 7507 with my 3640

From: jp@pour.midcoast.com
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 16:40:25 EDT

I have a 7507 almost setup right. I am getting some errors on the incoming
T3. I have a pa-mc-t3 hooked to an edgelink100 m13 mux.

>From show cont t3

Data in current interval (598 seconds elapsed):
     16 Line Code Violations, 9 P-bit Coding Violation
     9 C-bit Coding Violation, 9 P-bit Err Secs
     0 P-bit Severely Err Secs, 0 Severely Err Framing Secs
     0 Unavailable Secs, 10 Line Errored Secs
     9 C-bit Errored Secs, 0 C-bit Severely Errored Secs

I have 6db attenuators on each cable, which doesn't fix it. Putting both
attenuators in series on the pa-mc-t3's rx port causes the link not to
work. I have a longer cable coming in soon as per recommendation of the
archives of this list. Right now, it is a 6' link. No errors reported on
the edgelink side. When I get this right, it seems like a 7507 and
pa-mc-t3 will be an excellent way to get a whole bunch of T1s terminated
without CSU/DSUs.

Well, onto the real vexing issue. Right now, I have an AS and run BGP with
3 upstreams (customer routes only) on a 3640. My 7507 is at a different
location, but has a good high speed link to the 3640. One upstream is on
the 7507 now, but is not yet active till I get the errors fixed.

How should I link these two routers together for the month or so it will
take for the other providers to move their T's to the 7507. My guess is as
follows, but I want some others to confirm it or offer corrections
suggestions:

Run bgp on the 7507 and setup the 3640 as a neighbor. Set the 7507 as a
neighbor on the 3640. Let both send routes to each other unrestricted. I
shouldn't need any additional filtering on the two routers as neighbors.
Let both have the same AS number. (Or should I use a private set of ASs
for internal needs) When no upstreams are left on the 3640, disable the
BGP between them and on the 3640.

Am I asking for routing trouble?

TIA,
Jason Philbrook