RE: Secondary interface error

From: Ryan OConnell (ryan-nsp@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:17:52 EDT

On 19-Apr-2002 Tejal Shah wrote:
> when i create secondary interface on my 1700 series
> router i am getting the following error....
> "Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only
> allowed if that
> subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE
> 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q,
> or IS
> L vLAN."

If you're trying to set up a trunk to a switch you need to use the
"encapsulation dot1q/isl <VLAN NUMBER>" command on the subinterface. If you
want to assign more than one IP address to an interface, you're donig it wrong.
You need to use the "ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x secondary" command.

--
Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
ryan@complicity.co.uk