Re: Secondary interface error

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:27:51 EDT

> when i create secondary interface on my 1700 series
> router i am getting the following error....
> "Configuring IP routing on a LAN subinterface is only
> allowed if that
> subinterface is already configured as part of an IEEE
> 802.10, IEEE 802.1Q,
> or ISL vLAN."

Note that secondary address is not the same as subinterface.

You can have lots of secondary addresses without involving subinterfaces.

If you want an Ethernet subinterface, corresponding to an ISL or 802.1q
VLAN tag, you need to define the VLAN encapsulation before addding an IP
address, eg:

interface fastethernet0.2
 encapsulation isl 2
 ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0