Re: [nsp] Weird behaviour of Cat4000

From: Ryan O'Connell (ryan-nsp@complicity.co.uk)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 15:01:53 EDT

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 08:46:16PM +0200, Jan-Ahrent Czmok wrote:
> connected a sniffer on one port (housing) and i can see traffic from the other customers of ours.
> Normally i should only see my traffic (no i am not talking about broadcast or multicast).

Is this traffic to an "unknown" destination - I.e. one that may not have sent
out any packets? I've seen this with some broken NIC failover/Server failover
systems - the device replies to ARPs with a "shared" MAC address but is sending
out packets with the Burnt-in MAC address on the card. The switch doesn't know
where to send the traffic so it just floods it to all ports.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines, I'm just learning new things with the passage of time