RE: [nsp] TOS/DSCP marking on 6509 SUP

From: Ian Cox (icox@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 20:06:42 EDT

At 06:08 PM 4/22/2002 -0400, Hassan, Shehzad wrote:
>Ian,
>I agree with you that the box shud retain its TOS/DSCP value but I dont
>think Cisco 6509 retains the TOS value with QoS turned Off,
>I chatted with a couple of freinds and thye have experienced same, but need
>some documented proof.

There has been a couples of bugs which are resolved before the release you
quote whereby the show commands were showing the incorrect state in regards
to qos being disabled or enabled. The behavior of the 6500 when "mls qos"
is disabled is that all packets ToS/DSCP values are left unchanged, as soon
as qos is enabled if a trust state or acl is applied to the interface the
packets are written to zero.

If you need written references:
CatOS
http://www/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_6_3/confg_gd/qos.htm#xtocid37
Supervisor IOS
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/ios127xe/qos.htm#xtocid25

Look under With QoS disabled, the interface trust state is trust dscp,
which means the IP precedence and DSCP values will not be changed.

Now to verify with testing:

Test Topology:
  Traffic Generator ----> Gig4/1 6500 --> Gig 4/2 ---> 7200

Traffic generator sending traffic with ip precedence 0 and 4

With qos disabled globally on the 6500

melbourne#sh int gig 6/0 precedence
GigabitEthernet6/0
   Input
     Precedence 0: 47616 packets, 2095104 bytes
     Precedence 4: 1220 packets, 53680 bytes

With qos enabled globally on the 6500

melbourne#sh int gig 6/0 precedence
GigabitEthernet6/0
   Input
     Precedence 0: 31240 packets, 1374560 bytes

Ian