Re: [nsp] CAR - does it buffer

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Sun Jul 05 1998 - 21:49:19 EDT

Subject: BOUNCE cisco-nsp@qual.net: Non-member submission from [Scott Whyte <swhyte@cisco.com>]

>From owner-cisco-nsp Sun Jul 5 19:00:24 1998
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 1998 15:59:39 -0700
To: cisco-nsp@qual.net
From: Scott Whyte <swhyte@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [nsp] CAR - does it buffer?
Cc: amb@gxn.net

At 07:28 PM 7/5/98 +0100, Alex Bligh wrote:
>So am I mistaken about CAR, or is the implementation no more
>than dumb policing? And if so, how do I get decent traffic shaping
>for a web farm?

No, you are correct about CAR, it is only a token bucket. It has two
purposes, setting IP precedence, and rate limiting access bandwidth. You
need queueing to reorder packets for traffic shaping.

If you use CAR to set the IP precedence at ingress, you can then use (say)
dWFQ to utilize those precedence bits in weighting various flows. That
should get you the traffic shaping you desire, as dWFQ controls how much
bandwidth each flow can use during congestion.

These are all 11.1CC features...

----
Scott Whyte                      |"Computers are different from telephones.
Network Supported Accounts       | Telephones ring.  Computers do not ring."
CCIE                             |                   -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum