[nsp] OSPF announcements

From: Mike Norris (mike.norris@heanet.ie)
Date: Mon Jul 13 1998 - 04:09:04 EDT

Connected to us is a site with a subnetted /16 address allocation and
using
RIP for internal routing. Their external router connects to us over a
point-to-
point link configured as a /30 network. The other side of their
external router
is an Ethernet port, configured with a /24 address out of their /16
allocation.

We'd like to get them to talk only OSPF to us, using RIP only for their
internal routing. This means their OSPF process should announce a
route to the entire /16 allocation. We can redistribute that route to
BGP
and announce it onwards.

The site has configured an OSPF process that includes both interfaces
of their external router - the link network as a /24 and the Ethernet
port
as a /16 and both in area 0 (the same as our backbone area). RIP is
redistributed to the process.

However, the only announcement their OSPF process sends us is for
the /24 Ether-connected subnet; it tells us nothing about the other
subnets
of the /16. They are running IOS v11.0(4), we're running 11.0(13).
They
have not included 'subnets' in their 'redistribute rip' OSPF
sub-command.
Will 'redistribute rip subnets' on their router do the job of telling
their OSPF
process of routes to the /16 subnets and allowing that process to
announce
routes to the /16 (aggregated or otherwise) to us?

Or, as if often the case, am I missing something else?

Regards.

Mike Norris