RE: [nsp] OSPF bugs

From: David Power (dpower@insync.net)
Date: Fri Jul 17 1998 - 12:51:10 EDT

Iv'e also seen the problem with ascend 4000 series gear and 11.1.17cc
The max will withdraw the route and the cisco will hold onto it for days
sometimes. The route will appear on another max or can be moved to a different
network completely and be advertised by another cisco router and the first
router will maintain the stale route.

--- On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 00:24:35 -0400 (EDT) Jon Lewis
<jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net> wrote:

>I'm still seeing a bug in OSPF on my 3640 running
>IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3640-I-M), Version 11.2(13)P1, RELEASE SOFTWARE
>(fc1)
>
>What happens is I have a router running gated that exports a few routes
>for devices that can't speak OSPF. i.e. it exports a route for some
>subnets with some other box as the gateway. This generally works fine for
>all my devices...but occasionally (like today) we needed to temporarily
>route some subnets to a different box, and the 3640 above received the new
>routes but also held onto the old ones, and kept using the old ones.
>
>I restarted gated several times on the system exporting the routes with no
>effect, and even shut down gated long enough for the neighbor status to be
>lost (the gated box was considered dead) and still the 3640 wouldn't throw
>away the routes.
>
>At the time, the 3640 was BDR, and a Lucent PM3 was DR.
>
>I've seen this problem before on 11.2(8) on the 3640, and 11.0(13) on
>2501s. I was tempted to use our 3640 smartnet contract today, but I
>didn't feel like sitting on hold.

> Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Spammers will be winnuked or
> Network Administrator | drawn and quartered...whichever
> Florida Digital Turnpike | is more convenient.
>______http://inorganic5.fdt.net/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key____

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

David Power |Price,Quality,Service
V-P Operations |
Insync.Internet.Services.Inc.|Pick any two out of three.