Re: [nsp] CISCO 2509

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Sat Jul 18 1998 - 20:28:40 EDT

Subject: BOUNCE cisco-nsp@qual.net: Non-member submission from [Sean Donelan <SEAN@SDG.DRA.COM>]
From: Sean Donelan <SEAN@SDG.DRA.COM>
To: cisco-nsp@qual.NET

> I have a 2509 v11.2 ip software.
>
> For some reason when this thing loses complete power it also loses
>complete programming. Is there any thing I need to set or replace to get
>this thing to remember its programming??

Forgive me for asking the obvious, but have you done a "write memory"
or "copy running-config startup-config" to save the configuration? Did
it give you an error message when you used those commands indicating a
possible hardware problem? Have you followed the procedures outlined
in the Cisco IOS documentation for saving the router configuration? After
using those commands, does a "show config" return the expected saved
configuration?

When the router boots, does it print a message on the console about
the the router configuration or NVRAM? Is the 'config-register'
set to ignore the router NVRAM configuration when it boots? Use the
'show version' command, a typical setting is 0x2102. If the config-register
has 0x??4?, 0x??C?, or 0x8??? through 0xF??? (where ? are other numbers
or letters) as the value, the NVRAM configuration won't be loaded.

Is the router setup to dowload the configuration file from a server, and
the server's copy of the configuration file is lacking (i.e. empty)? Are
any of the commands "service config", "boot network" or "boot host" in the
configuration when you do "show config"?