[nsp] Trying to decide on IGP

From: Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Date: Tue Jul 28 1998 - 16:54:59 EDT

I'm about to grow what's been primarily a LAN into a WAN over the next few
weeks. Instead of just one POP, I'm going to have several remote POPs
connected via frame relay to the main one (home POP). I've been using
OSPF on the LAN at the home POP, and BGP between the home POP and its
upstream connections. I'm trying to decide what IGP to use on the WAN
now.

The options I'm considering are OSPF and iBGP. I think I'd rather go
with iBGP. I plan to continue to use OSPF on the home POP LAN, and will
probably use it at each remote POP, but I'm not sure if I want to try it
over WAN connections.

The biggest objection I have with BGP is that BGP really wants to be fully
meshed, or I'll have to setup a router (probably a home pop) to be a route
reflector. If I do run OSPF at each LAN, but use iBGP between POPs, then
I will probably have to carefully export OSPF into BGP.

Anyone have any recommendations?

                     Multiple T1's to Internet
              Remote1-----\ ||
                           \ ||
                            home POP
                             / \
              Remote2-------/ \--------Remote3---|
                                                     | [1]
                               | | |
                               | Remote3a1-------Remote3a |

[1] These remote POPs connected to remote POPs don't exist yet, but it is
likely they will exist at some point.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator | drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike | is more convenient.