Re: [nsp] Trying to decide on IGP

From: Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 01:04:27 EDT

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Niels Bakker wrote:

> > #RTB
> > interface Ethernet0
> > ip address 209.212.145.1 255.255.255.192
> (^^^)
> > interface Serial0
> > description T1 to FDT backbone
> > ip address 209.212.144.34 255.255.255.252
> ^^^
> > router ospf 100
> > redistribute static subnets
> > passive-interface Serial1
> > network 209.212.145.0 0.0.0.63 area 1
> ^^^
> Serial0 doesn't fall into any OSPF areas so the cisco won't enable OSPF on

Ah...I'd fogotten to add the network line for s0! Once I added that in
(putting S0's ip in area 1), the neighbor count on the serial interfaces
(on RTA and RTB) went up, and route advertisements began. Now I just have
to play around with inter-area summarization, and do a bit more testing.
Thanks.

> Still I don't see the use for different areas. As far as I know it's not
> possible to summarize routes between different areas and only announce the
> summary upward, unless you make it a not-so-stubby area. Am I missing
> something? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought you could...at least from my initial glances and "OSPF Design
Guide" by Sam Halabi. I guess I'll find out tomorrow or this weekend.
It's getting too late here to play OSPF config games. The area 1 router
is setup to play with...but the area 0 router is an important production
router.

The motivation for multiple areas is that as we open up additional POPs, I
intend to start out by routing a /24 to each new POP. The biggest reason
for OSPF (other than automating things and cutting down on having to keep
lots of static routes up to date) is so if some random customer with a
static IP or dialup subnet dials into a remote POP, the IP still works,
and the route propogates. Other than that, RTB (in remote POP 1) and the
other routers and access servers in remote POP 1 really don't need to know
what subnets are routed where...just to send packets for anything not on
their LAN to RTB, so RTB can send it to RTA. If I can't do inter-area
summarization, I'll have wasted a day or two playing with this...and my
area 0 will grow to "too many" routers much sooner than planned.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator | drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike | is more convenient.