Re: [nsp] Trying to decide on IGP

From: Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 11:20:35 EDT

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Danny McPherson wrote:

> When redistributing into OSPF, the router becomes an ASBR and all
> redistributed routes are considered external to the AS (External Type 2,
> by default). For this reason, if you wish to summarize the
> redistributed routes you must use the "summary-address" command on the
> router where the redistribution is occurring.

AFAICT, from looking at the "OSPF Design Guide", summary-address won't
help me. The situation is that at the main POP I have various access
servers and routers injecting E2 routes into OSPF in area 0. At the
remote POP, I'll have an access server or two injecting E2 routes into
OSPF in area 1. If an access server reboots in area 1, I don't think all
the routers in area 0 should be notified (via a few subnet routes
flapping). Similarly, routes flapping in area 0 shouldn't be noticed by
routers in area 1. In fact, area 1 doesn't need to know about any of the
subnet routes in area 0 because it's going to default to sending packets
to RTA in area 0 for anything that's not local.

This is why I was originally thinking of having each POP run OSPF with
separate area 0's at each POP...and then redistribute OSPF into iBGP at
each POP's border router.

> You should have a look at the OSPF design tips on CCO for a more detailed
> explanation.

I downloaded and printed the manual :)

 Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator | drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike | is more convenient.