Re: [nsp] MTU problem with GRE tunnels

From: philip bridge (bridge@ip-plus.net)
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 17:12:38 EDT

It seems that there are two issues:

- some applications are breaking because packets with DF bit set are dropped.
- some hosts (or more likely the firewalls sitting in front of them) have a problem if packets are fragmented.

On the one hand, I do not want to overstate the problem: I am not saying a lot of apps have a lot of problems. But the experience we are making is that the tunnels and the MTU/fragmentation issues they generate are creating enough problems to make us think twice about deploying a VPN service based on them. In this sort of environment it only takes the whiff of problems of this sort to render a service unviable.

Phil