[nsp] Damaged BRI port on Cisco 1004

From: Steve Pfister (srp336@optimum.com)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 16:43:32 EDT

We have several customers who use Cisco 1004s at their sites to dial into
us for Internet access. We've had a few instances where a remote site will
be come unreachable, and can no longer dial in to our central site. A known
working router placed at the remote site is able to dial in just fine.
Taking the suspect router to another known working ISDN shows that it
still cannot dial out. It seems like the BRI port is getting damaged in
some way. Is this possible and what questions should I ask my local phone
company to troubleshoot this? It's happened more than once at two
particular locations (and no others), which are rather remote and are
probably using repeaters to boost the signal. Is it likely that a power
surge through this line could result in damage to the BRI port on the 1004?

Thanks,

Steve Pfister
optimum.net
srp685@optimum.net