Re: [nsp] Question about long-haul point-to-point

From: Jonathan Hartford (jon@outland.net)
Date: Thu Dec 18 1997 - 19:00:16 EST

> What is the cheapest way to do long-haul point-to-point at greater than T1
> rates? I would like to place T3 capable equipment in two locations and
> start with of 1.5 or 3 meg. If I place a Larscomm T45 at both ends, should
> my telco be able to bill me in 3 meg increments?
>
> Most telcos are wanting me to hook into their ATM networks, which is
> something I want to avoid. I'd also like to not have to switch out
> hardware every time I boost bandwidth.

I like the Larscom equipment for T3 bandwidth speeds, but you're kind of
mixing apples and oranges here with your question.

Are you asking what the best hardware for such a connection is, or the
best telecommunications protocol?

There are some vendors that will do fractional ATM, because that means
they can use the rest of the various circuit legs for other traffic.
However, you said you wanted point-to-point, taking ATM off the menu.

I don't know of any telco that currently sells fractional t3 service.
The point-to-point nature of T3 service would mean wasted bandwidth with
no financial return from them. You'd end up paying for "full" T3 service,
so you might as well run it at 45M.

I suppose they _could_ in theory use the unused ds1's via some sort of
DACS hardware, but I'd guess it'd be more painful for them than they'd
want to deal with :)

You didn't mention your Telco, so I have no idea if they'll do what you
ask, but I find it pretty unlikely.

You might be safer running 1 or 2 T1 circuits, and wait till the bandwidth
increase merits the costs associated with it. There are some good CSU/MUX
devices you can use, so you could still have a HSSI handoff, and treat it
like DS3 once it hits the router, which would be an easier change when you
want to go T3. [no/few router changes]

Just some ideas...

   Jon Hartford
           Network Architect, UltraNet Communications Inc.
     508.229.8400x3043(voice) noc@ultra.net 508.229.8111(data)
     The Premier Network Service Provider. mailto:info@ultra.net