Re: [nsp] Question about long-haul point-to-point

From: Chris Layne (clayne@noc.netcom.net)
Date: Fri Dec 19 1997 - 12:39:30 EST

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Jonathan Hartford wrote:

> > What is the cheapest way to do long-haul point-to-point at greater than T1
> > rates? I would like to place T3 capable equipment in two locations and
> > start with of 1.5 or 3 meg. If I place a Larscomm T45 at both ends, should
> > my telco be able to bill me in 3 meg increments?
>
> I like the Larscom equipment for T3 bandwidth speeds, but you're kind of
> mixing apples and oranges here with your question.

We use Larscom for MUXing multiple E1s on overseas circuits and they provide a
very useful interface. So far they've had no problems.

> I don't know of any telco that currently sells fractional t3 service.
> The point-to-point nature of T3 service would mean wasted bandwidth with
> no financial return from them. You'd end up paying for "full" T3 service,
> so you might as well run it at 45M.

One other option is high speed frame relay. I know WorldCom offers this service
in certain areas in various increments (4, 8, 16, etc.).

== Chris Layne ==================================== Network Administrator ==
== clayne@noc.netcom.net ====================== Netcom Network Operations ==