[nsp] Strange cisco/livingston frame problem

From: david@sparks.net
Date: Tue Dec 30 1997 - 14:22:39 EST

We're bringing up some livingston PM3's on frame here in Maine, and have
encountered a very odd problem.

Setup is a cisco 2501 with a T1 connection to the cloud on one end, PM3 on
the other end with a CT1 on line0, and line1 configured as a frame port on
W24.

The symptom is that we'll have everything running fine, then have to
reboot the portmaster for some reason, and the frame connection will be
lost. Giving the PM time (hours) doesn't help it re-establish the
session. The only thing that works is re-establishing the frame
connection on the cisco, either by booting or "no frame-relay map...."
followed a moment later by "frame-relay map .....".

Putting both ends in debug indicates the proper DLCI notices appear to
be coming in from the CO. Both ends indicate the T1 is up and that the
frame parts seem to be fine. On rare occasion, I've seen the PM say it
could ping the cisco, but in no case could the cisco ping the PM.

Anyone run into this before? Cisco and Livingston TS both blamed the
other side for the problem. Any ideas most appreciated!

--- David Miller

Specifics:

        Cisco is 2501, 16 MB ram, IOS Version 11.1(9)
        PM is brand new PM3, ComOS 3.7.2
        Frame provided by Bell Atlantic, formerly Nynex.

Nynex has hooked up 1200 schools and libraries in the state now, so they
*should* have some idea what they're doing. Given their record, tho, all
bets are off. It seems like maybe the portmaster is having a hard time
re-syncing with the local CO.

One other clue might be that if we replace the cisco with a portmaster
they'll start talking to each other fine.

                It's *amazing* what one can accomplish when
                    one doesn't know what one can't do!