Re: [nsp] 7206 FE I/O (?) port (was: 7513, CT3, VIP4, BGP, EIGRP -- Stable IOS?)

From: Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no
Date: Mon Jan 05 1998 - 15:40:39 EST

Hi,

catching up on my e-mail, I see:

> When we installed 15.CA on one of our 7206's the fast ethernet
> port built onto the bus controller started to bounce up and
> down... going back to 14.CA fixed the problem

Oh, that is most likely caused by an incorrectly configured MII
transceiver. See the field notice

   http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/770/38.html

if you can get at it. The long and short of it is that Allied
Telesyn used to ship their MII transceivers wired to physical
address 1, whereas 802.3u specifies that 0 should be used. Whether
the transceiver is set to 1 can be inspected with "show cont fa
xx/xx", and if the MII registers all come out as FFFF it's wired to
1. 11.1(15)CA is definately more picky than 11.1(14)CA on this
issue.

Note that going to 11.1(15)CA may expose you to bug CSCdj60813 if
you use fair queueing (we do), the effect seems to be instability of
the serial ports on the heavist loaded ports on our PA-8T cards;
suggested workaround is to use FIFO queueing (we've not tested that,
as we really want fair queueing). But I guess you run this risk
anyway since you run 11.1(14)CA already...

Regards,

- Håvard