Re: [nsp] cisco usage stats

From: Geoff Huston (gih@telstra.net)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 07:45:31 EST

>>Pulling the IfOctets of total bytes, the stats seems to mysteriously reset
>>to 0 on occasion. No reboots, etc.. throws the count off and makes one
>>wonder how reliable the 'total bytes' stats are.

I've been pulling ifinoctets and ifoutoctets as the base of billing
for many years now.

Pull in the counter values every 5 minutes (or whatever interval you
determine) is easy (although watch out on the interval with high pseed
lines, as its good to get at least 4 daqta points for each
time the counter wraps around 2**32

The post analysis is determining the delta values, and as long as
you have sampled sufficiently often this is a simple case
of differential arithmetic on a modulo 2**32 number set, recognising
that there may be system or counter resets.

The numbers off ciscos are reasonably good, although I have
had instances where various interface types in combination
with various IOS versions have been known to double count
octets which get fast path switched, throwing the numbers
off.

Geoff Huston
Telstra

--