Re: [nsp] about routing

From: Kevin Nicholson (kcn@digex.net)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 10:01:08 EST

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Tatsuya Kawasaki wrote:

> hmm... thnx for your input.
> Do I really have to run RIP on this WAN?

The example on Cisco's website about "Inverse MUX Application using
Multilink PPP", I believe can be used with static routing, or other
dynamic routing protocols.

> Aslo "ppp multilink"? ciscos that we about to use do not need
> any ppp multilink since cisco that we use is from routing only.
> No BRI stuff is used nor needed...
>
> Does it make sence?

I think so. You are not sure that you need to use multilink on your serial
interfaces, or you are not sure that your IOS feature set supports
multilink PPP on serial interfaces ?

In the example on CCO, (http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/131/7.html) you
can see that "ppp multilink" is applied to the serial interface, and
multilink being most of the trick behind this, you will need a clear
channel circuit to use this configuration. I am running two DTE<>DCE
connections between a 7206 and a 2514, and I can see the interface
counters on both side incrementing fairly equally. I believe I am running
IOS version 11.1(7) or above on both the 7200 and 2500.

I have not used this in a production environment, so I am not sure what
real world results will look like when you have two (or more) T1 circuits
bonded together using multilink. Anyone on this list have real world
experience (good/bad) using this configuration ?

Kevin Nicholson Principal Engineer - Access
Phone: +1.301.847.5095 Fax: +1.301.847.5215
Postal: One DIGEX Plaza, Beltsville MD USA 20705