Re: [nsp] EIGRP

From: Randall S. Benn http://www.clark.net/pub/rbenn (rbenn@clark.net)
Date: Mon Mar 23 1998 - 12:31:33 EST

At 11:17 AM 3/23/98 -0500, Mike Gibbs wrote:
>I have a question. O am trying to get eigrp to work on a 2509 and, the
>process seems to show up, but its never in the configs, and the rest of
>the network fails to see it. Is this function turned off for the smaller
>routers?

All IP routING protocols are disabled by default, and therefore, must be
explicitly enabled. For example, you can enable EIGRP as follows:

Router#conf <cr> <cr>
Router(config)#router eigrp 100
Router(config-router)#network 192.168.10.0
Router(config-router)#network 192.168.20.0
Router(config-router)#<ctrl><Z>

where 192.168.10.0 & 192.168.20.0 are network addresses of the interfaces
where you require EIGRP to be enabled. If you don't immediately follow the
'router eigrp' command with network statements, EIGRP will not remain in
your config. Also, the 100 parameter represents a sample autonomous system
 number that you must supply--it must match among all routers that you
require to exchange EIGRP updates.

To see if EIGRP is properly enabled, use the 'sh ip prot' command. This
command will show you who you are receving EIGRP updates from, and who you
are sending updates to.

Regards,

Randy

"Cisco Systems In A Nuthshell"