Re: [nsp] Is there any way to set the TTL on packets to 1?

From: Alex Bligh (amb@gxn.net)
Date: Sat Mar 28 1998 - 16:07:57 EST

Brad,

> > I have an application where I want to set the TTL on packets going
> > to a particular host to 1. Any way I can do that? Not obvious from
> > the route-map i/f.
> >
> > --
> > Alex Bligh
> > GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)
> >

> Yes. Just construct an IP header with the TTL set to 1 and then
> send the packet out (of course assuming that you have already built
> all other pertinent information). This should always be handled at the
> application level (ex: traceroute). This is a trivial matter in your
> application.

Sorry I didn't express myself clearly enough. I have a router R, and
I wish all packets going through aforesaid router R to have their
TTL set to 1 rather than decremented if those packets are destined
to a particular host. So I want a route map which rather than letting
me set TOS etc as is the case at the moment, lets me set TTL.