[nsp] Anybody tried 11.1CC with CEF on 4500/4700?

From: sthaug@nethelp.no
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 19:35:21 EDT

Has anybody tried 11.1CC with CEF on the 4500/4700 platform?

We'd love to have it, among other things because of the possibility of
easily verifying source addresses, and it *is* available - but very
specifically unsupported (not on CCO).

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work. I've tried several versions,
today 11.1(21)CC (c4500-j-mz.111-20.CC). It works just fine without CEF.
Turn on CEF ("ip cef"), and suddenly I see large amounts of packet loss
using either ping or TCP through the router. (ie. ping or telnet from
another host, connected via a serial link, to a host connected to one
of the Ethernet ports on the 4500 running CEF code).

The packet loss is enough to make the CEF switching unusable, for all
practical purposes. We're not going to complain to Cisco, since these
images are unsupported. But it would be nice to know if other people
have seen the same, and to know if Cisco is aware of the problems.