RE: [nsp] GRE Tunneling for CLNP/LAPD

From: Stuart Bates (stuartbates@lucent.com)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 15:00:35 EDT

Hi Sam,

> Is GRE Tunneling for OSI CLNP/LAPD,
> through IP network, supported by Cisco Routers?
> If yes, how many such GRE Tunnels are supported
> simultaneously?

We are doing exactly this on our network, as for the maximum number of
tunnels, I don't know, though I have no problem with about 20 at the moment!

> It would be ideal if Cisco Router can run
> OSI (not IP) ES-IS/IS-IS for over both the
> CLNP GRE Tunnel over IP and CLNP/LLC1/Ethernet side.

Well you'd expect your ES to be on the LAN the cisco is connected too, make
sure its in the same area as the Ethernet interface on the router, then
build your GRE tunnel to the next cisco and drop it off there.
All you need to do is add "clns router isis xxxx" to the Tunnel interface.

> But, if Cisco Router has the capability to run IS-IS
> over CLNP GRE over IP, and run ES-IS over CLNP/LLC1 (LAN),

It does!

> I would appreciate if anyone can clarify whether
> there's any Cisco Router which can do this.
> Thanks in advance,

Well we are using a mixture of 3640's and 7507's at the core, but I am sure
you can manage it on something smaller, though you will need Enterprise.

Stuart.