Re: [nsp] BGP maximum datagram size

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 03:55:14 EST

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 07:16:33PM -0200, Loureiro, Rodrigo - (Bra) wrote:
> Does anyone know what is the maximum datagram a Cisco MP-iBGP peer can send
> to a neighbor ?

While I don't know the answer, you give it yourself...:

> I checked in many Cisco sources, but i could not get a precise response. RFC
> 1771 says that the maximum datagram size should be 4096 bytes.

So your application should be able to handle everything from 1 byte to
4096 bytes - more than that is against the RFC, but your neighbors are
free to send up to that amount.

Whether or not a current product uses only 500 bytes is pretty irrelevant
- relying on this will inevitably lead to nasty surprises.

regards,

Gert Doering

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de