[nsp] RES: [nsp] BGP maximum datagram size

From: Loureiro, Rodrigo - (Bra) (rodrigo.loureiro@attla.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 06:58:49 EST

Hi Gert,

Thanks in advance for response.

>So your application should be able to handle everything from 1 byte to
>4096 bytes - more than that is against the RFC, but your neighbors are
>free to send up to that amount.

This is linked to a fragmentation problem that i´m investigating with Cisco
in PE routers (VPN/MPLS architecture). Actually, if i could guarantee that
Cisco BGP´s implementation will not send a packet greater than 536 bytes, i
could isolate the problem scope, once it will not affect my routing
environment. However, if it follows RFC1771 in such a way that it is
possible for Cisco´s peer to send a packet till 4096 bytes, than i should
consider BGP inside the problem scope.

I made a lab generating 2000 routes and than debugged the update packets
between two MP-iBGP neighbors. I could see that BGP sends a lot of small
packets, instead of aggregate a lot of NLRI´s in a single big packet.
Actually, none of the packets observed reached 536 bytes.

Based on the lab i could assume that BGP will not send datagrams greater
than 536 bytes, but i could not get this information in any Cisco
documentation, which means that i cannot guarantee this behaviour will be
uniform.

Do you have a pointer to any documentation that could solve my doubt ?

Regards,

--

Rodrigo Loureiro