Re: interesting Infocom paper on traffic engineering via routing metrics

From: Curtis Villamizar (curtis@workhorse.fictitious.org)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 14:25:35 EDT

In message <E2D27064CD59574F88D05AEF5728396D159D56@PH01SRV02.photuris.com>, Lea
h Zhang writes:
> Curtis,
>
> I have one inline comments.
>
> Leah

Leah,

If the major ingress and egress of traffic are A-E and A-F, then
creating two tunnels B-C-D and B-D has no effect.

You can create more than one LSP from A-E or A-F and further subdivide
the traffic to get a better load split. You may be able to improve
load balancing by splitting either of them into two equal LSP. You
can get a better load balance through an unequal split. You need to
know apriori which LSP need to be divided in this way and the optimal
percentage of the split. This is just fine in theory but in practice
is considered difficult to manage in a network of any practical size.

Curtis