Re: interesting Infocom paper on traffic engineering via routing metrics

From: Yuval Shavitt (shavitt@eng.tau.ac.il)
Date: Sun May 20 2001 - 03:58:04 EDT

Hi Jennifer,

Yes, it is true that the worst case is not indicative of the average
or common case. However, note that in our paper we also examined how bad
can things be if we assume a very simple topology of parallel links with different
capacities (you can imagine these to be parallel routes). In this example,
as well, OSPF can perform quite bad, in the worst case, only a log factor
of the flow can be achieved with OSPF.

Even in the very simple case of 2 parallel routes one with double the capacity
of the other, it is easy to show that OSPF cannot achieve more that 2/3 of the
flow TE can.

I agree with you that in practice most likely the penalty will not
grow as a function of the network size. However, I expect to see
a significant reduction of the network capacity when we avoid using MPLS
and relay on OSPF weights instead.

Yuval

--
Yuval Shavitt
Dept. of Electrical Engineering - Systems