Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Joel M. Halpern (joel@stevecrocker.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 18:18:39 EST

Actually, I am not sure that the protocol should see different terms. It
is certainly true that the devices at different levels are sometimes aware
of differences, but I see no reason why the protocol should reflect this.

For example,if we assume that there is aggregation of information going up
the "hierarchy", most of the items appearing at high levels will actually
be such abstractions. But there should be no reason why an individual
device or link can not appear there, and there is no reason why any other
device should know that it is an individual device vs an aggregate. (Not
even for purposes of determining whether in a map based system one can ask
for more detailed information. Some "devices" can give more detailed
information, and some aggregates can not.)

Similarly, except for limitations of identification / naming, it should be
hard / impossible for an individual device participating in what it things
is a low level of the hierarchy to tell whether other devices it sees are
actually aggregates.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern