Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Jeffrey Haas (jhaas@nexthop.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2001 - 11:28:21 EST

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 04:00:08PM -0700, Alex Zinin wrote:
> Now is the most "scary" thought... Once we have different
> levels speaking different terms, we can think of independent
> addressing at each level. In this case, the complete address
> of a node would be a combination of addresses at each level
> of hierarchy. The main benefit of this approach is in the
> implicit address aggregation,

Excepting that the requirements document states:

: 4.5 IP Prefix Aggregation
:
:
: There are no requirements that IP Prefix aggregation be done by
: the new architecture. In fact, it is an explicit goal not to
: do so. Address allocation policies, societal pressure, and the
: random growth and structure of the Internet have all conspired
: to make prefix aggregation extraordinarily difficult, if not
: impossible.

Theoretically, ipv6 address allocation and multihoming practices
could satisfy aggregation requirements, but ipv4 current practices
make aggregation nigh impossible at the Internet scale of things.

--
Jeff Haas
NextHop Technologies