Re: A historical aside

From: Mark Handley (mjh@aciri.org)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 14:35:55 EST

> To summarize the Peter-Sean religion on QoS: queue-reordering
>is an EDGE function, not a CORE function. The queues in the core
>are never long enough to make fancy-queueing worthwhile, and
>should not even be part of the architecture once you hit
>core-router-to-core-router speeds of 2.5Gbps.

Whilst I agree that this should be true in the normal case, an
interesting question arises in the case when links or routers have
failed. Unless you've overprovisioned sufficiently to cope with the
failure (how often is this done?), then you're likely to see
significant queues build on alternate core paths. How you manage
these queues may determine how useful your failover capability is.

The other case when you might get standing queues in the core is when
you're suffering a DDoS attack.

Cheers,
        Mark