Re: requirements sub-group draft

From: Ben Black (ben@layer8.net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 18:04:37 EST

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 05:49:07PM -0500, Kastenholz, Frank wrote:

> The current _tools_ for implementing "policy" are what
> Vince describes. But we're not trying to require the current
> tool set (if we do, we probably would end up with the current
> system, but maybe with 48-bit AS numbers :-). We are trying
> to figure out what it is that the operators are actually
> trying to do and then say "the routing system must support
> that" (at least, insofar as it is relevant).

There are dangers inherent in such an approach. First, it places
somewhat arbitrary restrictions on the allowed solution which may
prevent significant improvements. Second, I suspect there are
things "operators are actually trying to do" that are defined by
the limitations of the current tools, not what would be desired
without those limitations.

> But this is a very hard problem.

I think that is agonizingly clear.

Ben