Routes, paths, and end-to-end

From: Howard C. Berkowitz (hcb@clark.net)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 15:23:10 EST

In the context of the argument whether sub-IP provisioning is or is
not within scope, would it be useful to agree at least on terminology?

Frank,

Am I correct that you use "route" and "path" interchangeably in the draft?

To the group,

Would it be useful to use "route" for what I'll loosely call
"end-to-end", where one end is a point of aggregation or
deaggregation, and "path" for a (perhaps abstract) sequence or set of
routers? Route and path can map 1:1 or not.

I think this is consistent with the goals stated in 3.16 on abstraction.