Re: Poke Poke...

From: Sean Doran (smd@ab.use.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 2002 - 13:39:35 EST

| Nevertheless, I lean definitely to one document or document set from
| the IRTF to IETF, whether or not that's the way it's been done.

It isn't totally clear to me that there *is* a way to reconcile
the two reqs documents, however, if you're volunteering to lead
the effort of editing together a single document in a relatively
short period of time, consider yourself encouraged.

(Relatively short - well, I'd really like to see us issue the
equivalent of a WG last call towards the end of IETF week, assuming
the suggested improvements from the mailing list have quieted
down by then... An intense editing period should not push this
off by many weeks.)

| BIG CAVEAT. If there turns out to be several distinct viewpoints
| about RoutingNG--hypothetically, one based on control theory, one on
| map exchange, and one on the technology of the Psychic Friends
| Network--it's entirely appropriate to have several such documents,
| much as there were several competing approaches for IPng. Even so, it
| would be useful that these documents be written with something of a
| common structure so they can be compared and contrasted.

I fully agree. Indeed, I predict that this is exactly what will happen.

That said, let's learn a bunch of "don't"s from the ROAD process...

#1: don't put all your eggs in one basket
#2: don't market your chickens while they're still eggs

I would really like to see it be possible for EACH of these
routing architectures to be operated IN PARALLEL in different
parts of the Internet, but then I get accused of smoking strange
things sometimes, so take that with a grain of salt.

| Frank, your personal opinion above isn't necessarily unreasonable. My
| gut tells me that by the time something hits the IETF, there should
| be one consensus document.

Ultimately, I personally would like to hand the IETF something against which
they just engineer -- generating MIBs and tweaking message formats --
as if the RRG were an author putting forward a standards track document
or set thereof. There is quite alot of work to do before then.

I would love people's comments on this, particularly those of
of you who e.g. chair IDR or manage the Routing Area.

        Sean.