RE: requirements sub-group documents

From: Russ White (ruwhite@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 06:40:43 EST

Hmmm.... There's no reason you can't have flattening and
hiearchy at the same time, but let me state it another way
without hierarchy: You aren't going to fit the requirement that
routers need not be upgraded without fitting the requirement that
information hiding takes place.

Which moves the problem to information hiding, which is mostly
going to center around aggregation of information (unless you can
hide information while you still have it, but then that doesn't
make sense, because just having it means you have to handle it,
which then requires an upgrade as more information becomes
available). Aggregation is not a concept unique to routing
protocols as a means of reducing the density of information being
processed.

Anyway whether or not aggregation can occur without hierarchy is
another question, and perhaps it should be stated that way in the
requirements doc. First, I don't know that it can. A full mesh
between hierarchical units does not imply no hierarchy, and it
doesn't imply that aggregation cannot occur.

In fact, the entire concept of being able to have more than two
levels--mentioned elsewhere in the doc--implies levels, which
then implies hierarchy.

So, on to two sweeping statements:

-- If hierarchy is not to be presupposed, then eny references to
levels or pieces of the network being fit together to make larger
pieces, both indicative of hierarchy, should be removed, and we
should allow people to postulate a truly flat network, with
strict host routing between each host throughout (the absolute
result of no hierarchy, which is actually quite easy to achieve,
just replace every instance of a router in the Internet with a
switch).
-- If hierarchy seems to fall in behind everything we do, even
the advertisement of wires rather than reachable hosts, for
instance, then the presupposition of hierarchy at least at some
level should be mentioned. Perhaps even having a section on this
would be useful (?).

Just asking for consistency, that's all.

:-)

Russ

riw@cisco.com CCIE <>< Grace Alone