Re: Clarification on Multicast

From: Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking (Radia.Perlman@Sun.COM)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 21:12:32 EST

"ignoring multicast" at layer 3 is not the same as saying n recipients implies
n messages. If necessary, it can be done at the application layer, as
happens when daycare centers decide to close for the day and there is
a phone tree where each parent is responsible for calling 3 others.
The phone company doesn't provide multicast. And indeed there are
a bunch of deployments of higher layer multicast.

So it wouldn't be a disaster for the Internet if we didn't get layer
3 multicast right, but it would be nicer if we could provide it at layer 3.

Radia