Re: OT: billing multicast makes it a non-starter Re: Clarification on Multicast

From: Tom Barron (tbarron@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2002 - 16:29:18 EST

>>>>> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:39:26 -0500 (EST), Radia Perlman - Boston Center for Networking <Radia.Perlman@Sun.COM> said:

  Radia> Actually, I don't even believe an IGP/EGP split is necessarily the
  Radia> right thing for unicast routing. (Assuming the phrase "IGP/EGP split"
  Radia> means "two different routing protocols". If it instead means, levels
  Radia> of hierarchy, then yes, it seems that for unicast routing, that
  Radia> seems to help it scale.) But for multicast, I do not believe an IGP/EGP
  Radia> split helps.

The story goes that when Lenny Bruce returned, disillusioned, from the
Soviet Union, he reported "it's like the whole country is run by the phone
company."

If there were one phone company in charge of "the Network" then maybe all
routing problems would be shortest (or other constraint) path and scaling
problems. As the world is, the Internet depends on policy decisions among
peers - peers who would without policy refuse to interconnect.

Hierarchy addresses scaling issues; policy at administrative boundaries
addresses the conditions for getting players into the game.

If in talking of an IGP/EGP split folks mean that different path selection
algorithms need to run "inside" and "outside", then I agree that this
shouldn't be axiomatic for IRTF. I think, however, what is meant is that
new routing protocols need to support different policy domains, under
control of autonomous peers. That fits better with the argument that an
"IGP/EGP" split has been an enabling factor in the growth of a unicast
Internet and that the lack of such a split has been an inhibiting factor in
the growth of a multicast Internet.

- Tom Barron