RE: Evolution and the routing architecture

From: Dmitri Krioukov (dima@krioukov.net)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 18:41:07 EDT

[snip]

> I think my "list of subsystems" is *the* fundamental model of how all
> routing systems more or less have to work. Of course, some designs have
> lumped more than one phase together in a single mechanism (all DV/PV
> systems mingle 2, 3 and to some degree 4) - but those elements are all
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> still there.

I'd like to make two comments to this:
1) The above component list is correct for topology information
distribution routing paradigm only. That is, in my opinion, it
limits us to the evolutionary approach -- "revolutionary" means
something else to me.
2) I guess Curtis was arguing against word "path" here. "Path"
sounds too "end-2-end-ish" (even taking into consideration that
it can look very different at different nodes along the data
path) and, hence, it's quite a stretch, I think, to say that
DV nodes, for example, do "*path* setup."

--
dima.