Re: mobility

From: Alex Zinin (azinin@nexsi.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 16:00:46 EDT

Alex,

[...]
> I would suggest that requirements for future routing architectures (be
> it group a or b) should give clues about how to address certain issues
> and help making distinctions. Or at least give a sense of what are
> the wisest architectural choices that should be made when designing
> for mobility.

I think it might be unwise for any type of requirements to suggest
or presuppose specific ways addressing the issues. On the other hand,
a discussion on what's considered good and bad in general might be ok.

[...]

>> Regarding name-to-prefix mapping... A name and an address are
>> properties of a specific node, similarly to a DNS-name and IP
>> address. I guess for MONET, one could envision something like part
>> of name being a group id and its mapping to a prefix changing
>> dynamically, while the rest is a host id and its mapping to the rest
>> of address being more stable... but then I might not have had enough
>> of my morning tea...

> That's an interesting idea to address in monet, indeed. Provided that
> changing dynamically DNS name-address pairs for networks is feasible.
> Or, provided that future routing architectures will be part of an
> Internet where naming schemes allow names for networks (not only for
> hosts).

Actually I didn't mean DNS there. By name I mean a permanent host ID.
Theoretically, DNS resolve could return the host ID and then another
method could be used to find the actual routing address based on it.

Alex