AW: Differentiated Routing, not only plain rambo-SPF

From: Hummel Heinrich (Heinrich.Hummel@icn.siemens.de)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 06:49:31 EDT

Let me repeat:
With SPF each node computes its individual tree towards all the other nodes. The sum of all these (n) trees
will most likely cover the entire network. Some may see this advantageous (traffic is distributed all over the network).
However by "DiffRout" as I like to advocat some traffic can be locked into ONE particular slim tree of links (e.g. the smallest size tree), and having several such slim trees (= road systems), which are constructed in awareness of
each other, and which may even have assigned bandwidth, much better control of the traffic/network can be executed.

Because you mention NP-hardness:
The algorithm I showed last week is very fast and doesn't constitute any performance problem.
BTW: I can likewise provide an (yes, heuristic) algorithm (no, four of them)as to build a list of links which form a ring
(instead of the smallest size tree) and would interconnect n edge nodes by n links.
Even for n= 200 (as I did for draft-hummel-n-square-investigations-00.txt) it only takes one or two seconds
computation time.
Note, it is this notorious traveling salesman problem.To find the absolute best link sequence of the ring
it would take 10**80 years computation time, given that one particular link arrangement can be
checked within 1 micro-second.

Heinrich