RE: Differentiated Routing, not only plain rambo-SPF

From: Naidu, Venkata (Venkata.Naidu@Marconi.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 12:48:15 EDT

Senthil & Shen,

-> HH:> There is never a free lunch. But what are a view routing
-> tables compared to the probably much bigger number
-> of p2p LSPs?

  You told/questioned about theoretical correctness of
  DiffRouting approach. Let me tell you in what direction
  we are moving (practically).

  If you put together everything what is happening in
  IETF WGs you will see that "indirectly" we are doing
  DiffRouting. Believe me...read on...

  Read this simple draft [in IESG last call]
  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-te-metric-igp-00.txt

  This draft suggest to use 2 IGP metrics (right now
  1 in IGP Hop-by-Hop topology info and another in
  IGP-TE info) efficiently to do QoS routing.
  1 metric for Data and another metric for voice.

  What is this finally boil down to - If I provide
  this feature to SPs, think, how are they going to
  use this in DiffServ domain?

  Simply, SPs can map 2 different services [example,
  2 different CoS-types] to these different metrics.
  Effectively we *are* doing DiffRouting...previously
  there is no name for it...(and we are getting panicked
  that we are facing a new/unresovable/performace
  implicated problem here).

  To extend the idea more (from 2 metrics to n metrics)
  please read draft-fedyk-isis-ospf-te-metrics-01.txt.
  I discussed this with Francois, he said, the above
  draft also is going to get into DiffServ-aware-TE problem
  space.

  Look at this way, DiffServ-Aware-TE is more than
  DiffRouting. DiffRouting is just a subset of what we
  are solving right now.

-> But the problem is routers have to maintain all information
-> about DSCP they support and propagate them.

  Shen, yes we are flooding all the information about DSCP
  *indirectly*.

-> 1. The diffserv architecture, as of now, defines only
-> the data plane work. control plane activities( routing,
-> signaling etc) are still open questions.

  With recent changes in TE-WG and MPLS, control plane
  is now aware of DiffServ-Aware-TE. Read...
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tewg-diff-te-proto-01.txt

-> Thus said, coming with a new scheme is not a big task,
-> problem space and applicability statement is very
-> important.

  I agree.

-> I am not asking you to formulate diffrout as an increment
-> to SPF but just enlighten us *problem* and *need* of
-> diffrout.

  As a layman (problem statement & need):
  "I (end-user) will be very happy if my voice call over IP
   performs atleast as good as over POTS (proportional to
   what I pay as monthly charges)"

  As a technical person (problem statement):
  - Quality of Service to End User
  - End-to-end performance
  - Efficient use of Resources
  - Congestion Avoidance & Control

  How are you going to solve above problems with out using
  DiffServ-Aware-TE (aka DiffRouting)? I am very glad
  to know your *solution*:
  - with out letting control plane know
  - with out propagation DSCP info (directly/indirectly)
  - with just using SPF (with out CSPF)
  - with out using MPLS
  . . .

  Thank you.