Re: Wither irtf-rr

From: Shane Amante (shane@amante.org)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 03:08:29 EST

Perhaps I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention security with
respect to granular authentication of path/prefix/flow/policy
information. And, I'm not talking about security as a "add-on"
feature (e.g.: BGP/OSPF/IS-IS MD5 neighbor authentication) that merely
authenticates two sides of a link, but not the substrate information
contained in the messages carried between them. I mean real
authentication of routing information, for whatever next-gen IDR
approach is taken, should be innate and (preferably) unavoidable by
operators who deploy it.

There will clearly be performance and memory implications with any
security mechanism(s). However, there feasibility should at least be
considered for the following reason. The Internet may have already
reached a point of critical mass where it is only being used, or going
to be used, for those applications (web, mail, etc.) that can
"tolerate" bad routing information. However, authentication of
routing will be crucial to future real-time applications that may use
the Internet, (e.g.: tele-medicine, VoIP, real-time Video,
circuit-emulation, etc.) In those cases, application security is just
not good enough.

Also, before we rush to solve the problem, we might want to take a
step back and state the problem(s) we are trying to solve. To quote
one of my colleagues: "You need to have a target in order to know what
you're aiming at." Along those lines, it would be good to formally
elucidate all of the requirements for a next-gen IDR protocol. So
far, (besides faster convergence and better scalability), I have only
seen a few "here's what I want for Christmas" wish lists. ;-)

If work on a requirements/features doc hasn't already begun I would be
glad to work with others to put together a framework.

-shane