Re: Multiple Sysmond

From: Jared Mauch (jared@sysmon.org)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 13:27:40 EST

        there is a client called "sysmon" as well as Java and Python
clients that are avaiable. They provide the same/similar data as to
what is seen in the html page but it allows you to collect it without
dedicating a large web browser window to it.

        (ie: you can run it in a 80x25 xterm and keep it in the
corner of the screen)

        do "sysmon localhost" or something like that to see
what it does.

        a bit more work is required to set up the java client and I've
not actually personally used the python client but it is
distributed with sysmon.

        Try them out.

        Eventually there should be a way to associate notes with a
device (be it down or not) to say "bob is working on fixing", or
"ticket# 9389293" or something like that so if there is a large
network and multiple people are watching the system they can
"claim" an outage and whatnot. Also the ability will eventually
be there to say "ignore this host, don't e-mail/page/whatever as
we are doing scheduled maintence"

        it's not there yet but i'm starting to get closer to
having these features ready to be implemented... right now
its an easy way for me to "talk" to the daemon for
debugging purposes. (You need to configure an "authkey" first
otherwise people can't do stuff like view the config remotely
or turn debugging on/off at a whim).

        check out src/srvclient.c and it will give you a list
of the commands that are there and that it will not reveal anything
but "hosts down" and "version" without any auth.

        - jared