Re: interesting stuff..

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 11:59:35 EDT

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 03:09:54AM -0400, Mike Benjamin wrote:
> I've found a few interesting things while playing with sysmon/sysmond
> over the past few days.

        Thanks. I always enjoy stories from the users.

> When specifying an 'upcolor' on 2 Linux machines the server has a
> Segmentation Fault. When specifying under FreeBSD it spits out:
> "sysmond in free(): warning: junk pointer, too low to make sense." and
> apparently stops reading the config as it complains about the lack of
> root indefinitely. Problem is the FREE(upcolor) in loadconfig.c.

        Are you running the 0.91.2 version? I thought I fixed all
those silly bugs but it is quite possible that I missed
one or two.

> When first starting the ncurses client (independant of OS, tested on
> FreeBSD/Solaris/Linux) or server (FreeBSD/Linux), the Time Failed of
> already occurring alarms will be equivalent to 0/Never/etc.. Refreshing
> once will fix it, or if starting the client before the daemon has a
> chance to find any alarms it won't occurr.
>
> Refreshing twice quickly under the ncurses client in Linux will cause the
> same "zero time" problem to occur, with the same fix as above available.
> Refreshing twice quckly under Solaris will cause the client to lock up
> completely, requiring a ^C to exit. Refreshing twice quickly under
> FreeBSD will cause the Time Failed to change to the current time.
>
> Under FreeBSD/Solaris/Linux the client doesn't leave the term "nice" when it
> exits cleanly. You've got to `reset` to clean it up.

        The curses stuff is broken. It worked nicely with ncurses3 but
i've not had time to fix it. To fix the problem on freebsd, you just need
to type 'stty sane'. If anyone is a curses programmer I would be interested
in either some help or recommendations of what I'm doing wrong.

> One suggestion I have would be a per-user authentication, whether that be
> it's own password file, the existing password file, pam interaction,
> whatever..

        There are the 'protocol' hooks for this but I have not
programmed them yet. My notes in the 'WISHLIST' file represent what I
was thinking along these lines:

        * config authfile (file-type sysmon|passwd|htpasswd|etc)

        This would allow authentication and the ability to issue 'update'
messages also (once i get those hooks in). For example to acknowledge
an alert or obtain access to some notes about an object that someone has
associated with it (like a ticket # for example).

        I currently have solaris, OpenBSD, FreeBSD and Linux boxen lying
around my house where I do development. I've just not spent the quality
time working with curses recently.

        - Jared