Re: Multi-homed web server always down?

From: Jared Mauch (jared@puck.nether.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 13:52:35 EDT

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:41:13PM -0400, Simon White wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm running 2 NT servers, the WWW checks always seem to fail. Checks on
> a Linux and a Domino server work OK; if I specify urltext or not it
> fails.
>
> So the question is how the www test runs, so that I can work around
> this.

        a few questions + comments.

> My config for these objects:
>
> object Web {
> ip "url";

        this should be www.whatever.com -- If the web site is hosted
using http/1.1 host-header: you need that to be the "full" hostname.

> type www;
> url "http://url";

        url you want to be /blah/blah/to/index.html

        not http://host/path.html

        are you monitoring the NT servers w/ the above-type config?

        urltext is also required as the www check scans for text in the
webpage that it requests.

        I suggest if you want to do a more generic check, you set urltext
for "Server" or something like that which all the web-servers return. If
you just want to see if the host is working, i suggest doing this:

        type tcp;
        port 80;

        - jared