[cisco-nas] CBWFQ via radius for l2tp?

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Tue May 31 17:34:53 EDT 2005

> Jon Lewis [jlewis at lewis.org] wrote:
> > On Wed, 25 May 2005, Dennis Peng wrote:
> >
> > > We currently do not support queueing on any type of VPDN vaccess
> > > interface (though this will change in the somewhat near
> future). You
> > > can do rate-limiting or policing.

This statement blows me quite away, that's a quite hard thing.. I never needed it (or was too lazy to find out in detail) up to now, but ever thought I could do CBWFQ if I need to. Now I know at least why it hasn't worked at all when I tried..

> > That kind of sucks for now.
yes, it really does ;)
I wonder what all the currently popping-up VoIP-DSL-pricedumpers here do.. I guess they simply don't do any QoS at all.

> Yeah, I think that is the only way. The other concern with doing QoS
> on the LNS is that usually at least one segment of the path to the
> client is oversubscribed (usually the uplink on the DSLAM), so you
> can't really do end-to-end QoS.
now I haven't seen any oversubscription so far here, I guess this is also provider/country dependent.
The PPPoE sessions I get over L2TP should have 1:1 bandwidth down to the subscriber..

> > Any idea how far off (somewhere in 12.3, 12.4, 13.x) CBWFQ
> over VPDN is?
>
> It'll come out in 12.2SB, the broadband release off of 12.2S and I
> believe we will only support the 7x00, 1000x platforms in that
> release. Scalability will also decrease due to the increased memory
> requirements for doing shaping/queueing on those interfaces.

As I never understood (and probably never will) what the various SXY releases are good for, will this also go into any "mainline" I can wait for like 12.4T ?

Michael