[nsp] Proper way of doing dial backup for an ethernet(DSL) link

Ryan O'Connell ryan@complicity.co.uk
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:42:27 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 21:29:27 -0400 (EDT) Krzysztof Adamski <k@adamski.org> wrote:
> What I'm asking is, from all the possible ways that are now available,
> what is it best way? Running BGP, is this a good thing, or would RIP be
> better, or OSPF? Or should I use DDR?

Personally, I'd use OSPF and dialer watch routes. (You need 12.x for this,
11.x is buggy if you use OSPF with dialer watched routes) I've used this in
the past and once set up it works very well.

Any routing protocol would do, but OSPF has quicker failover than BGP or
RIP. You probably want to find some way of making the upstream withdraw the
watched route when it's connection to the world dies too, but without
knonig your architecture I don't know what the best way of doing that would be.

--
         Ryan O'Connell - CCIE #8174
<ryan@complicity.co.uk> - http://www.complicity.co.uk

I'm not losing my mind, no I'm not changing my lines,
I'm just learning new things with the passage of time